Wednesday, May 19, 2010

One thing I was surprised to learn was how much emotional stress women have to go through. From gender testing to feminism, women go through situations in sport that men would never have to go through. It's the females who mainly get questioned about their gender and end up getting gender tested, and the women who get questioned about their sexual orientation. I always had the idea that athletes were so blessed because their lives conisted of doing what they loved and getting paid for it, when really there is more behind the scenes that we could ever know, imagine, or experience. They suffer with problems just like the rest of us, but their problems are likely to be more detrimental due to the fact that they are in the public eye.


My view of women in sport changed in a way where I have a broader perspective of the subject. Entering this class, I thought I was going to learn about female dominated sports such as tennis, WNBA, volleyball, etc. and how they relate to female hormones, emotions, and menstrual cycles. Now, when I think of women in sport I think of the history and progression women had to go through to be where we are today. Although most may argue that females don't live up to male athletics, female participation has still rapidly increased since the beginning. I also think about how women in sports has modernized when it comes to uniforms and rules. Looking back on the old videos and the establishment of Title IX, I've realized that I am lucky to be living in the generation I'm living in today.


Anya de Leon
KIN 338I S.6

No comments: