Friday, May 21, 2010

Final Distance Learning

When I enrolled in Women in Sports course, I was expected to learn just about the history of women sports, star professional athletes and what type of sports women participate in. We did cover some of those bases but we actually went more in depth with social issues that athlete women faces day by day. I didn't expect to learn about all the diversity that women have to endure just to be an athlete. I didn't expect to learn about equality issues, whether it was between men and women or sexual orientation, scrutinized lesbian athletes. I was not aware of any of these issues actually occur in the world of women athletes. Taking this course made me realize how society can socially manipulate and change a female athletes based on social taboos and standards. What I got from this course made me be more analytical on how women are being portrayed in public either in sports media or any source of media outlet. I just respect female athletes much more than before.

Michael Nguyen
005679555
kin338i (9:30-10:45)

1 comment:

Chelsea Castaneto said...

I totally agree with you! when i came into this class i chose it just because it was a requirement and worked with my schedule. i didn't know we were going to be debating and going over conflicting issues in woman's sports. being naive as i am sometimes, i just assumed women's sports have always been around and not realizing that they just recently have been supported in the past three decades! i knew that in the 1950's and 1940's women were still fighting to be accepted into playing in sport leagues but i didn't realize how much of a controversy it was and that people actually thought it was blasphemy and a threat that women were playing sports. i am so glad we have came so far because i love sports. i now have more appreciation and awareness of woman's sports as well as the knowledge to know how far we have come. But there is still a long road we have to take to be accepted by the media as women athletes.