Monday, May 17, 2010

Distance Learning Final

1. What did you expect to learn is this course? Did you learn it?
I expected to learn how women’s sport has grown and evolved over time, and we did learn a lot about this. We especially learned about Title IX and how that has been the biggest factor is promoting women’s sports. I also kind of expected to hear all about feminism and the movement and how men are so horrible and suppress women. We did learn a little about feminism, but it was not how I expected. The course still focused on women and athletics, and we just spent a little bit of necessary time on feminism and how it fits in. Also, I learned a lot about what feminism really is and how there are many different views and ideas within feminism.

2. One thing I would like to learn more about is:
I would like to learn more about how changes can actually happen. We learned a lot about why things are the way they are and how wrong and even dangerous societies ideal standards can be, but how does that get changed. I guess a lot of it is awareness, which classes like this are good for. People need to realize that the societal stereotype of what is feminine is not going to fit the individual personality of every girl and it can really be a barrier to equality. We did learn a lot about the history of how things have been changed, like Title IX. I wonder if there are any current things being done, like current legislation that is under way or programs that are being promoted to continue to strive for equality in female athletics.


Sarah Orchard
338i section 5

No comments: