Monday, May 17, 2010

Final Distance Learning

What did you expect to learn in this course? Did you learn it?

What I expected to learn from this class was how women in sports have succeeded and their struggles. I knew we were going to discuss women in sports but did not really think we would get into so much depth and discussion. The textbook provided great information but the in class activities, discussions and films gave us a better insight on what we learning. It was interesting to expand my knowledge on certain topics such as Title IX, Female Athlete Triad and many others. The debates were also informative since we got to hear our peers debate and present both sides of their arguments.

Did your view of women in sport change as a result of this course? Why or why not?

Yes, they absolutely changed. Prior to this class I really did not pay much attention to the discrimination and the challenges women have been facing when it comes to sports. Now that I have taken this course I am more aware and want to see change. The topic that really stood out and shocked me was the whole controversy about athletes coming out. I really did not see why their own personal choices would affect a team and bring about discrimination. And the film we watched about Rene Portland was very shocking due to the fact that a coach was going out of her way to ruin in a sense some of her players who were homosexuals. It is unbelievable how it continued for so long and nobody did anything to stop this. Before this course I never thought about topics like this but after hearing and reading these stories it became so real.

Jasmin Dominguez
T/Th 9:30am

No comments: