Thursday, May 13, 2010

Distance Learning-Final exam

If you could share one idea from this course with others, what would it be and why?

I could share one thing that I learned from this course; I would give awareness to any female who has symptoms of an eating disorder. Learning this semester about anorexia, and bulimia, I am more aware of how these eating disorders come to being. Learning in athletics that there is a higher advantage for female athletes to be associated with these eating disorders has opened my eyes. I think females are under a lot of pressure from the media to fit in this perfect body image. Females are striving for a perfect image when it does not exist. Awareness among young females is important because the media surrounds us and a false image of what is considered beautiful in mainstream America. For women to participate in sports is important and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is a positive way to life. Eating disorders do not that to be associated with women in sports. I feel very strongly about this topic and watching the documentary with Diane Israel really caught my attention and I would pass it on to my friends and female classmates.

Have you changed your opinions or views as a result of this course? Why or why not?

My opinions about women’s’ sports has changed in a way where I feel proud to be an athletic female. Growing up playing sports I was sometimes embarrassed to have muscles or having a competitive side. Now that I am older I can use my athletic abilities and competitiveness to help me in the classroom. My opinion on what I considered beautiful has changed. What we see in the media is not realistic. I am no longer striving to be perfect with my image. I am happier with my physical appearance and that has helped me with my self-esteem. While I was learning about how much of a struggle women had in the early 1970’s before XI has changed my opinion that women should have just as much credit as men’s sports. I hope that male athletes support women’s sports and give the athletes recognition that they deserve. Women work just as hard as men athletes do. Women shouldn’t have to prove they to earn equality.

Sofia Baca-kin338i

No comments: