Monday, May 10, 2010

Final Exam- Distance Learning

1) The thing that I was surprised to learn in this course was the way that female athletes are being represented in the media. I was surprised to learn this because it was something that I never truly thought about before, just accepted it as the norm. I guess this statement was the most surprising and is why this trend continues in society. Because this is something that has always happened ( the sexualization of women in the media), it is not seen as a big deal in society but it truly is, and is very damaging to a female athlete's confidence in their sport.

2)If I could share one idea from this course with others, it would be about the positive and negative impacts of Title IX. One reason of why I would share this idea is because I do not believe alot of young adults of my generation even know what Title IX is, I honestly didn't. We now live in an era where it is not even a question of whether women can play many sports, but which sport we choose to play; and this is all thanks to Title IX. The only problem is that female athletes are still not being treated as equally as male athletes as far as funding, but at least we do have more opportunities. The negatives however, are that because of Title IX, alot of female coaches have lost their jobs, and their are still more male coaches than females than ever before. I think we need to find a way to use Title IX to reverse this trend so that females can be better represented in sport in all areas.


Devyne Dawson
TuTh 9:30-10:45

No comments: