Thursday, May 20, 2010

Final Exam-Distance Learning

Did your view of women in sport change as a result of this course? Why or why not?

As a result of this course my view of women in sport has definitely changed. The most prominent way in which it has changed is that I no longer view female athletes as vulnerable or submissive, but rather I now see them as the fierce, successful women they are. In addition to this change in my view of women in sport, I feel as though I am now eager to learn more about female athletes and keep up with the medias portrayal of them in terms of media coverage, or lack there of, and the way in which each athlete is depicted in the media. Prior to this course I could care less about female athletes and in fact would scoff at them for their successes simply because I did not see under the surface of the trials and tribulations they endure on a daily basis. As I mentioned before, I saw these women as vulnerable and submissive because I had not been educated on the history of women in sport and all of the advancements they have made as a result of their physical and mental strength. Because of this course I now have the most respect for all female athletes because I know their journey is not always easy. I never used to consider myself a feminist in the slightest sense, but I can definitely say that me learning as much as a did about women in sport has given me quite a bit of woman power!



Complete the following sentences: One thing I was surprised to learn in this
course is: … . I was surprised to learn this because …

One thing I was surprised to learn in this course is the amount of female athletes that struggle with eating disorders. I was surprised to learn this because- I suppose it was that I always thought of female athletes as not having to worry about being healthy or in shape because of it is already built in to their role as an athlete to do so. After being in this course I can now see that there are so many different factors that tie into women turning to unhealthy eating behaviors. Whether it be to make weight for an event, shed a few extra pounds to trim seconds off a race, or simply meet the social expectations of what an athlete should LOOK like, I now realize that there are so many female athletes that are battling a serious eating disorder because of the pressures put on them by coaches, family members, and fans. As I previously mentioned, I had always seen these athletes as being in top physical shape and healthy; confident and happy with their physique and performance. Being in this course has enabled me to look at situations related to women in sport through a more objective lense and realize there is more to a story than what is seen on the surface. After watching Beauty Mark I can definitely say that I was surprised to learn how prevelant eating disorders and unhealthy lifestyles is amongst female athletes because of the stigma that is often associated with athletes in general as being health junkies. This notion has further contributed to my being more open minded and not as quick to judge as a result of this course. I feel as though, in addition to the above, this has more clearly defined the distinction between health, being in shape, and satisfying the need for an idealistic physical image.


Elise Severson
Section 5306
T/TH 2:00 PM

No comments: