Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Awareness Assignment

For my awareness assignment I did a differential treatment audit and I became aware of somethig about myself. Apparently I coach with fat phobia and a little bit racist. I don't do anything horrible but I realized, after evaluating other coaches, that I do not give as much attention to the larger kids on team and that I expect the Asian kids to do things better. It just so happens that many of our highest scoring kids are Asian, and brillant in school, but I didn't realize that I expected that of them until I wrote this paper. I feel dirty. I don't just want to win, I want ALL of the kids to have fun, but apparently I am biased. I did realize that I have higher standards for the Asian kids because their parents do as well, so I feel pressure from them. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of white kids with the same standards, but as a whole I am biased towards the Asians. Maybe the get higher scores because I set higher standards. I don't know, the psychological aspect of coaching is becoming more and more intense.
Ashley Chatman
Kin 338i

No comments: