Monday, May 10, 2010

Final Exam: Distance Learning

If you could share one idea from this course with others, what would it be, and why?
Before taking this course, I did not know how women in sports struggled to build their careers. Still there is a struggle for attention in the media. Before, I did not pay attention to how they are represented in the media and how female and male athletes get different treatments. Now when I see a magazine or a TV commercial with athletes, I definitely see the difference. therefore, I can show my friends those differences to make them aware of these issues.

Complete the following sentences: One thing I was surprised to learn in this course is: … . I was surprised to learn this because … .
After watching the film on Rene Portland I was surprised to learn about how homosexuality of female athletes affect their careers. I was surprised to learn this because I was not aware of these issues until I watched the film. Coming from a South Asian and theoretically conservative country, homosexuality was an avoided topic in my culture. I thought American was more supportive towards homosexuality. However, Rene Portland's discrimination towards those athletes was unacceptable, but still no action was taken against her, which surprised me.

Chinthani De Alwis
Kin 338 TTH 2-3:15pm

No comments: