Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Final Exam Distance Learning

I changed my point of view concerning female gay coaches coming out. I didn't think it was necessary for me to come out before because it shouldn't matter, and it would probably do more harm than good, but then I realized how great and how much easier life would be if everyone came out, and being gay was part of the "norm". I guess that is me thinking we could one day live in an Utopian society, but that is the goal. So I am in the process of coming out to my kids and their parents. I am not going to stand up and announce it, but I'm not going to hide my girlfriend anymore either.
If I could share one idea from this course with someone I would want them to know that all discrimination's are connected. We can't end racism until we end sexism, homophobia, and fat phobia. If the ideal woman is supposed to be a Caucasian (racism), blond/petite/sexy (sexism), and girly/straight (sexism/homophobic)we will continue to have discrimination in out society. I think this is an important message I wasn't expecting to learn. Everyone has experienced some type of discrimination whether they realize it or not, and if all of these "isms" are interconnected, maybe they will be more inclined to make an effort to work towards a more accepting environment.

Ashley Chatman
Women in sports Kin338i
T/Th 9:30 AM

No comments: