Friday, May 7, 2010

Final Exam-Distance Learning

1. Did your view of women in sport change as a result of this course? Why or why not?
My view of women in sport has definitely changed as a result of this course. I was unaware of the differential treatment female athletes encounter on a regular basis. I also did not realize the extent to which the media portrays female athletes in such a degrading and sexualized manner. After having studied and critically analyzed the treatment of female athletes, I am now less ignorant and more aware of the fact that women in sport have come a long way and still have a far ways to go to receive the same attention as male athletes. In comparison to male athletes, female athletes have to put in a lot more effort in order to be recognized for their physically abilities. Also, I have realized the extent to which the media tries to sexualize female athletes. Often times, females are not recognized for their true physical abilities, but instead are completely sexualized and conceived in a stereotypical “feminine” manner. I hope one day that women in sport will receive the same amount of recognition as well as media attention and coverage as male athletes.

2. If you could share one idea from this course with others, what would it be, and why?
I would share with others the myth of the “obesity epidemic” in the United States. I think it is important for Americans to realize that we do not have an obesity epidemic in our country. I would point out the fact that more people are affected from being underweight and more people suffer from severe bulimic and anorexic eating disorders than from obesity problems. I would also tell others that the media, physicians and the pharmaceutical industry are the ones to blame for this obesity epidemic. Our society is so obsessed with this ideal image of being thin and skinny, which can cause severe damage to one’s self esteem. I think that the media needs to stop pushing this thin, ideal image towards society because it is causing extreme disorders among millions of people.

Chloe Neter
KIN 338I.S6

No comments: