Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Final Distance Learning

I used to think that women were equal to men in sports opportunities, but now I think the differences are drastic. I think my views were skewed before because in my small town high school we had nearly all the same sports for boys and girls to participate in, and I was seeing and hearing about female athletes quite often. After this course I realized that not only do many high schools not have equal opportunity for males and females, but most colleges don't even come close, and the professional arena is even more drastically skewed. This was shocking to me.

If I could share one thing from this course with others it would be what I learned about how female athletes are depicted in media and the lack of quality coverage of their sports. Most female athletes are used for sex appeal and rewarded for maintaining traditionally feminine features and societal standards for females even if it contradicts their sport. Attractive female athletes receive more sponsorships and media coverage than strong and winning athletes. This coverage and sponsorship is still substantially less than in male athletes. For exerting the same amount of effort, demonstrating skill and talent, and winning titles just like male athletes, female athletes are underprivileged.

Courtney O'Connor
KIN 338I Section 4

No comments: