Thursday, May 13, 2010

Final: Distance Learning

1. Have you changed your opinions or views as a result of this course? Why or why not?

My views have changed as a result of this course, because there have been things that have been brought to light in class readings, discussions, and videos. For example, I never realized how little the media shows women in sport. I was always so natural for me to only see men's sports highlighted on TV or nievely associating sports drinks to football, because that's the way the media presents sports. My views and opinions have changed for the better. I am much more aware of how unequal women still are to men, and I can not critically analyze what these commercials are actually telling us, and what news and sport stations aren't telling us. In a nation that stand for equality and human rights, we still have a lot of work to do.

2. One thing I was surprised to learn in this course is...I was surprised to learn this because...

One thing I was surprised to learn in this course is that many people, both men and women, have this notion that if there is one lesbian on a sports team, then the whole team is homosexual. I was surprised to learn this because I was on my high school's softball team and there were several lesbian and bisexual girls that came out during the season, yet we never got labeled as a lesbian team. Instead, we were all really close. The fact that a few girls came out didn't affect our playing at all. I guess it was because we were all pretty sure of ourselves and knew that we had to drop our personal lives as soon as we put our cleets on. So when others saw us they saw a strong team, a tight unit, and people judged us on our abilities, not our sexual orientations. I was lucky in that sense.

Jessica Canizales
KIN 338I T/TH 9:30

No comments: