Thursday, May 13, 2010

Idaho girl creates controversy by joining boys' lacrosse team

I found this article very interesting because Sara Maras wanted to play a sport that specifically have a male and female division but she like the more physical contact aspect of the sport. What I found very interesting was that the male team mates on the lacrosse team accepted her as a lacrosse player regardless of her gender. What was very surprising for me was that Eric Jones (coach) actually went out of his way to petition for Sara to play in the first place. He was very support of her being on his team. What really gets me is that the only problem that Sara faces is the members of the board worrying if she would get hurt or it would alter the competitive levels of the sport. And now the members of the board are claiming that it will weaken girl's lacrosse. I find all these allegations ridiculous because now I feel like they are just trying to find more and more excuses to not make that transition. Why aren't the parents and coaches worried about any of the boys getting hurt in that sport? Why is there such a double standard? I am supportive of Sara standing up and showing that she can hang with the guys. I think this is just a small stepping stone for sports equality among male and female sports, when more and more girls start catching on to this movement, the barrier is easier to cross over if a girl is interested in playing a certain sport regardless of gender.


Michael Nguyen
005679555
Kin 338i

No comments: