Monday, May 17, 2010

Final-Distance Learning

From this course I expected to learn exactly how modern American society views women mainly in the media. I did learn what I expected to learn and beyond that; I now know where our cultural values have stemmed from and why women are treated unequally in many ways that may not be as obvious. This course changed much of what I had previously especially when it came to the issues of obesity and self-esteem issues involving body weight. I have come to understand that it is the persception of oneself and goal of health that should be most important when evaluating body weight and what is considered to be healthy.

Because of this course I have come to appreciate so many women in history that have paved the way for female athletes today. There are women who have made an incredible impact in sports history but continue to remain unrecognized for their achievements.

One thing I was surprised to learn in this course is that people may not be aware of certain privileges they have because of their race and/or social class. I was surprised to learn this because as a minority I have always been aware of certain social injustices yet not hindered by them.
I would respond that in KIN 338I, I learned about what TitleIX is and what the effects entail for past, present and future generations. In five years from now I hope to respond that TitleIX has improved in its flaws, and continues to be immensly successful for women in various ways.
I used to think women were treated more equally in sports than in any other area of society but now I think that in all areas women are treated with a certain inferiority even in sports. I used to be shy about discussing body weight issues but now I will be more open to understanding the factors that contribute to body issues and image.
If I could share one idea from this course with others, to keep yourself healthy, exercise and work hard to achieve your goals. This is an important because if our bodies feel empowered so will our minds.
One thing I would like to learn more about is how do other countries women's professional sports differ from American professional female teams?

-Bianca Palos
KIN 338I
SEC 04

No comments: