Friday, May 14, 2010

Final: Distance Learning

What did you expect to learn in this course? Did you learn it?
In taking Kin 338, I expected to learn about the history of women’s sport. I also thought there would be a lot of focus on the current happenings of women’s sports. As a result of a ratemyprofessor.com comment, I thought the class would be a radical feminist perspective with male bashing. I was happy that the class really went over women’s sport history. I learned a lot for the first time, about women athletes who really transformed how people viewed women competing in different types of sports that were previously only played by men. I think it was important that the class highlighted these women because they really transformed sports and we often take their accomplishments for granted today. There were a lot of current topics in women’s sports mentioned through out the class. I really enjoyed this aspect of the class because it made what we were learning applicable to everyday life. As for the class being radical and male bashing, I think that the person who made the comment must have never attended the class.
Have you changed your opinions or views as a result of this course? Why or why not?
I have changed my opinions as result of this class in a lot of ways. To be honest, I did not even think there was really that much inequality between men and women. I thought that living in a society where women make up the majority of the workforce, it would be a society that is fine with women’s sports. The class revealed to me how much disparity there still is between men and women. What really revealed this to me was early in the semester when women ski jumpers were not allowed to compete in the winter Olympics simply because they were women. I thought something like that would never happen in today’s society, but then it did. This class has made me a lot more thankful for my active upbringing. Sport has always been an important part of my life, it never crossed my mind that I was privileged to compete and privileged to have a family that supported my athletics.
Cynthia Wollerman
kin 338i section 5306

No comments: