Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Beauty Marks and Fat Talks

When we watched the video "Beauty Mark" by Diane Isreal, one gentleman mentioned the phrase "exercise bulimia". This surprised me, because I had never heard of that term before, but I had seen people who exercised so much that they had burned off all the calories they had consumed... and then some. Being a Kinesiology Major, I've become somewhat obsessed with people's eating and exercise habits. So it saddens me that Diane Isreal had run so much that her body had to call it 'quits' on its own to get her to stop. And that she still exercised excessively every single day; having a meltdown if she missed even one session.
American news states that we have an 'obesity pandemic'. If others knew the sheer numbers of people with poor body images and therefore are 'exercise bulimics', people wouldn't be saying we have an obesity problem. This video , in junction with the 'fat talk' clip from Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKPaxD61lwo), has made me aware that body image is a rather sensitive subject for all people.


Sarah Garcia
TuTh 2-315
KIN 338I

No comments: