Thursday, November 17, 2011

Overwhelming Support For Victims

Learning about this tragedy in class last Thursday I was horrified to hear about what had happened. The information that I was given that day was that there was an assistant coach at Penn state that molested kids and his head coach did nothing about it, even when he was caught multiple times. I was shocked, and was in for another shock when I heard that students were protesting the fact that this same head coach that allowed this to go on was being forced to step down. I was appalled. I thought there must be hope for humanity, so I turned to social media to see the people’s reaction. I was happy to report an overwhelming support for the victims of this tragedy, a outright disgust toward the coaching staff in general, and thoughts on how this all could be handled differently. The part that stood out to me as an overwhelming theme was the support for the victims; this was what I expected from everyone, including those on Penn states campus. The real reason everyone is protesting is because Joe Paterno is such a legendary coach for this team, but his legacy is nothing in my opinion if this is what he is letting go on within his staff. I think the fact that Paterno is such a powerful force for Penn state is the reason that people love him, not necessarily because he has good character. In my opinion students at Penn state are just pissed cause they think that they are going to lose a few games, and the power of their team is going to be comprimised. To me, and maybe this is just me, sports in general is a whole heck of a lot less important than the lives of these young boys. Looking at the support on Twitter and Facebook gave me a slight glimmer of hope for humanity and showed me that people are still standing up and fighting against the unjust, even when a struggle for power is involved.

No comments: