Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Distance Learning Part II

The social media, for the most part, has done right in the wide exposure of the Penn State events. The media has an obligation to witness fact and to expose that truth to the public. The problem is that, often times, the social media loses discipline and control, and facts are bent, distorted, and extremitized. Then we get some soap-opera version of the story that does nothing but scare us. The media's real job here is to expose the facts as they are so that we the public can better prepare for such predators in the future and prevent people from becoming victims.
For example, I was one of the people who felt fairly emotional after the firing of Joe Paterno. This is because a man I had come to admire and respect, a man who seemed immortal, in name if nothing else, was being destroyed in my eyes. I credit the media with opening my eyes wider to the fact that he made the wrong choice, no matter how difficult it was. The media did this by stating what was actuality. Joe Paterno lied, to save the program he devoted his life to for more than half a century, but it was at the expense of numerous innocent children. The media deserves this credit for changing my opinion, as well as letting me sleep on my initial reaction.
Matt Kamlet
004003842

No comments: