Thursday, November 17, 2011

Distance Learning Assignment

Social media has played a huge factor in exposing the Penn State scandal. With all of these outlets like twitter, facebook, Internet, newspapers, magazines, and television, almost everyone has heard some news involving the issue. These sources transmit all of the info quickly out to the public and through sources like twitter and facebook users are able to reply and post, relaying it even farther to their followers. Also since this happened at a university, it is more relevant to the younger generation who do not normally follow news as much as their parent generations.

The recent child abuse scandal where assistant coach Sandusky allegedly raped the children from his own charity camp has been the big story in the media for the last couple weeks. He was sick enough to create his own camp to select his victims from. Head coach Paterno and some other university officials covered it up and now they are paying for it. I definitely do not think that it was right for any of them to cover it up. I do have a little more sympathy for the grad student that witnessed it because if I were in his situation, involved in a powerful organization with powerful people, I would not know what to do either. But then again I probably would have called the police first instead of the coach. Overall I think this entire situation is disgusting and I hope all of the victims will come forward so that this will not happen again.

Allyson Nomura

Kin 338I, sec 06

No comments: