Thursday, November 17, 2011

DISTANCE LEARNING ASSIGNMENT: SCAN-DAL-SKY

Let me just start off this entry by mentioning that the accused are innocent until proven guilty. But, until then, I will express my views on the situation as I see fit…

Now, we all know the immense power the media has on pop culture. The way we dress, our hairstyles, what we eat, the teams we root for, etc. Looking back at the glorified football history of Penn State, it’s tough to imagine a situation like this ever occurring. After all, Joe Paterno consistently preached doing things the “right way.”

There’s no doubt Joe Paterno knew what was going on. That’s obvious. I’m of the belief that whatever you do in darkness will eventually come out to light, and unfortunately for the great coach, not having the faith in his program or himself to get the situation taken care of, eventually backfired, and tarnished his legacy.

Take a look at Paterno’s reputation and coaching record at the time of the alleged 1998 incident. The Nittany Lions went 9-3, and ranked #15, and #17 respectively. If you knew something wrong was happening, why didn’t you act and replace Sandusky? After all, there are countless numbers of better suited coaches looking for Defensive coordinator positions. Sandusky’s defense allowed a total of 183 points that year. Not bad for a 9-3 football team. But was it really worth hanging onto him?

On another note, I was born and raised in Miami, Florida. Trust me, no collegiate football program has garnished more scrutiny than the Miami Hurricanes. Earlier this summer, the NCAA and the media were shooting down the Canes football program and even petitioned for the death penalty after accusations that the players had been given “illegal benefits.” This strikes a very personal chord in me. I bleed orange and green, why would the media salivate over the opportunity to destroy the Hurricanes? Is it jealousy? Maybe because it’s 80 degrees in Miami right now, and 40 with snow in Bristol, Connecticut? (ESPN Headquarters).

Whatever the reason, I don’t see ANYONE in the media petitioning for the Penn State program to be cut. I’m not saying it should be, I’m saying I’d rather be considered a “thug” in the eyes of the media than an ass-hungry child molester. Why is it that ESPN acted like it’s the end of the world when these athletes were paid, mind you most come from poverty stricken neighborhoods in South Florida and can’t even afford to get their families to a game. Tell me how that is a bigger problem than ABUSING innocent CHILDREN using YOUR OWN ATHLETIC FACILITIES?

The media wants us to feel sorry for Paterno. But, I ask you, if Paterno didn’t have the accolades he did at PSU, would you really care? NO. You wouldn’t. He would be considered an old, lying, coward. Granted, we don’t know all the facts. But, society isn’t stupid. The media, and pop culture can only do so much to steer our opinions in a certain direction. Paterno used his immense power in the typical fashion of a dictator. Cover up as much as you can, and maintain a calm exterior: the show goes on. But who knows? Maybe Joe Pa was in the wrong place at the wrong time…but I doubt it. It’s clear that this was an act of greed.

No one wanted to take the blame, no one wanted to lose commitments, jobs, or their reputations. At the end of the day, what you preach in football wasn’t followed by this joke of a staff. I think the situation is disgusting, I think it’s a shame for Penn State and Paterno, BUT, if he truly did know what was going on, I don’t have any remorse for him. He, and the rest of that athletic staff are criminals.

What’s going to happen to Penn State? I think the program needs a complete overall, head to toe. No one’s job should be safe, whether they’ve been with the program for 30 years, or 30 days. I call for newly appointed A.D. David Joyner to change your image, evolve, transcend the boundaries of the media, and become great again. Let’s start paying attention to the HUMAN element of what goes on in our athletic programs, and stop worrying about idiocy like players being paid, or selling memorabilia. After all, football is a game that makes men out of boys. They shouldn’t remember their athletic experiences in shame and disarray.

Elliot Osrin
KIN 338I Sec 06

No comments: