Thursday, November 17, 2011

distance learning


The media has become a huge reason why the PSU scandal has spread. Information about this scandal is spreading like wild fire with the help of twitter, facebook, television, magazines or any other source of media. Without all this media many people would not know about this scandal. Also I think that when people put up personal opinions about the scandal it starts to curve peoples ideas, and can bring even more conversations about the issue. The good thing about the media being involved is that younger audiences are knowing about situations like this, and are being informed that some people in this world are not who they portray they are.
Power, media, and deviance all intersect in many ways. The issue of the public being withheld information becomes a problem very often. I believe that the power that Joe Paterno and the few people at Penn State that knew about Sandusky over powered the scandal. I think that if Joe Paterno was not so afraid of losing his power this scandal would have been stopped years ago. Power tends to hide deviance from the media, but in this case eventually the power could not keep from the media any longer.
I do not know really know how to make sense of this scandal. This issue in my opinion is a moral issue and if I were ever to witness such a horrible thing happening I would speak up. It is sad to say that Joe Paterno and others at Penn State were afraid to step up and make a phone call because they wanted to protect themselves instead of helpless children. Children for years were being violated and they did nothing about it. I believe that Joe Paterno and others deserved to be fired and their legacies ruined because they could of possible ruined the lives of many other young children. Their legacies would never have been ruined if they had said something the first day this was witnessed instead of ensuing a cover up.
When I first found out about this scandal I was appalled I couldn’t believe that something as morally wrong could continue on for this long. I coach soccer and if I ever were to witness something like this to happen the first thing I would do is call 911 regardless of who it is. No child should be a defenseless victim. The sad part is, is that Joe Paterno was this figure that many looked up to and granted he might have been a good person and a good role model to many, but because he didn’t say anything when children needed him the most all of his good has been erased. I can not even emphasize how disgusting Sandusky’s actions are. He deserves every punishment that is given to him.
Christine Thiebert
KIN338i

No comments: