Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Words of Encouragement

My family has always been supportive of me and what I wanted to become when I "grew up". Whether it be a princess, teacher, or marine biologist, I was never told that I could not become something. So naturally it shocked me when someone told me, when I was considering becoming an athletic trainer, that I would not be taken seriously because I am a girl. When I asked for advice from a family friend about what courses I should take to become a sports agent, I was told I should consider a profession in the medical field because it would be difficult to compete with the men.
It is unfortunate to not see more women in the sports industry. It is even more unfortunate for others, especially women, to discourage girls from participating in a "man's world". If girls and women are not encouraged and do not dare to enter the sports industry, the sports world will always be dominated by men. It is a vicious cycle that can be defeated by passing along the words "you can do it'. Someone told these ladies they can and they are encouraging other girls and women to do the same.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportsbusiness/news/story?id=2079652

Tiara Gose Kin338I Sec. 6

No comments: