Wednesday, October 12, 2011

White Privilege: They're not the only oblivious ones

The video in class with Tim Wise about white privilege got me thinking. I'm sure many people know that White people have things a bit easier in this country just because of the color of their skin. But the thing is do people actually think about this fact? Do white people think, "Wow I really have an advantage here"? Do people of color think "I'm at such a disadvantage because of my color"? The latter might be true, for some, but it never occurred to me that being a person of color was going to slow me down. I have hopes for my generation, a hope that we will get closer to true equality than any other generation has ever been. After watching this video I have noticed that I have been treated differently than my light skinned friends. I suppose I always ignored the unfairness and unequal opportunities that have faced me. I believe that my hope for my generation has made me oblivious to this "white privilege". I in no way believe that we are unequal but I am now aware that this could be slowing down all people of color. I hope that video made everyone aware. Although, this phenomenon could be altering colored people's opportunities and lives, I am not going to let it slow me down. I'm a fighter. I have hope.
N.A. Coleman
kin 338I.S6

No comments: