Thursday, October 13, 2011

Be a Woman With Confidence

I never used to think of myself as a feminist or how much women are underrepresented in our country. I know that probably sounds bad, being a woman myself and all, but I guess I never really looked women as unequal to men to begin with. I always knew that physiologically, there are some things women cannot do that men can, but that didn’t stop them from trying. When my sister first started college she took a women’s studies course and used to parade around the house about how horrible women are portrayed and how we are just as equal as men. I was still in high school and unaware of the struggles women face. I always used to argue with her that if you take the strongest and fastest man and put him up against the strongest and fastest woman in a race, that the man would win because it’s not physiologically possible for a woman to beat a man. Since then I’ve learned so much about what women can accomplish regardless of what our biological makeup says. I understand why my sister used to be so upset about comments like that I would make. I grew up with 4 sisters and no brothers, and after thinking about the way we were treated; my dad always did a good job of allowing my sisters and I to do what we wanted. He never told us “girl’s don’t do that” or comments of that nature. I never used to think girls were less than boys with the help of my dad. If we wanted to go outside and play catch, he wouldn’t question it, he would allow it and join us. Looking back, I’m glad my dad treated me the way he did because it allowed me to have confidence about being a woman even though there are constant struggles for women to this day. Women have accomplished so much and I can’t wait to see what will happen in the years to come.

Nylene H.
Kin 338I Sec 01

No comments: