Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Is It Sexist?

One of the topics that have come up in a discussion that I found most interesting was that it is sexist when a male holds the door open for a female. This statement really caught me off guard because I do not agree with it. Maybe in the past when women were seen as frail and incapable of doing things for themselves was when the tradition of a man opening the door for a woman began, but even though it may have begun with false reasoning I don't think it's done for the same reasons today. I do see it as a gentlemanly thing to do, and I do not think it is done because a man believes if they do not open the door then the woman won't be capable of doing it themselves. I do believe there are certain things a man should do to treat a lady right, not because a woman is incapable of certain actions, but as a sign of respect. Especially when it comes to holding the door open, when someone, male or female, is walking behind me when I open the door I will hold it for them because it is the right thing to do. I do not think it is sexist in any way for a man too open a door for a woman.
Jen B
Kin 338I Sec 06

No comments: