Tuesday, October 4, 2011

At the beginning of the semester, I was very apprehensive to participate in class discussions because the topics we touch on are somewhat controversial, but as the weeks went by, and other people began to participate, I became more comfortable. Everyone has been so understanding and so willing to listen to and support each others oppinions, it's been really eye opening and my walls and biased-I'd have to admit- oppinions have quickly begun to be broken down and it has allowed me to experience so many new things and connect with so many new people. Our discussion about gender traits and how they are heavily influenced and constructed by society really changed my view on life. It may sound deep and extreme, but even I am surprised by the impact is has had on me.
My load of classes is already stressful-as well as most other students- and I was really frustrated that the university requires us to take the capstone courses. I have lived all over the country and even outside of the US and I thought that I was culturally diverse/"seasoned" and that I didn't need to take any classes to further diversify me. I now know that I was completely wrong and misslead by my own definition of diversity. I have so much more to learn and so much more to grow, and I am so thankful for the changes that I have already gone through this far.

Kyndall Hagens
KIN 338I sec 01

No comments: