Tuesday, October 4, 2011

High School in Long Beach

Not gunna lie, today in class really made me take a step back and look at things through another person's vantage point. I was one of those white people saying that we dont have a racist or discrimination problem which is because of my experiences in high school. At my high school, whites were the minority and 60% of the school was of hispanic descent. My school was not known for its athletics or academics but more for the drug and violence that goes on there. Even though Millikan is located in the eastern "white suburbia" Long Beach (2 miles north of CSULB) it still has these problems. Therefore when I thought of kids getting into trouble i thought of the "mexicans" but I didn't realize that there are problems like this across the nation. Just because the racial demographic is different from the west coast to the east coast doesnt mean the high schools are experiencing different issues. It was enlightening to watch that video and listen to that guy talk. I wanted to hear more.


Bennett Grissom

Kin. 338i sec. 6

No comments: