Wednesday, October 12, 2011

on the remnants of racism

as we discussed racism and white privilege in class, i began to analyze my experience as a minority student in college and highschool.the schools i went to didn't have the best teachers, or resouces, or even the best funding. i however, feel that i have experienced racism or prejudice differently because of my appearance; most people i encounter ask me if i am indian, arabic, persian, or even jewish. my biggest issue is that i some feel people put more emphasis on figuring out my race or ethnicity instead of trying to get to know me. alot of times people treat me like a novelty because i resemble a race that i don't belong to. alot of times people will say "you look hindu"- which is a religion; my friend's gilfreind actually told me i look like a "terrorist" a highschool teacher once told me i reminded him of Sadam Hussien. so when i hear people say racism is a thing of the past, i can't help but wonder whose past in particular they are referring to. i am aware that our society as a whole has become more accepting of others, yet some of us are forced to face "those remnants of racism"- racial stereotyping, on a regular basis.
K. Cortez
kin 3381 s6

No comments: