Thursday, October 13, 2011

What I've Learned So Far...

There are so many new things that I have learned in this classroom. I thought i wasn't going to fit in the class very well because I am not very involved in sports, but I was very wrong. Watching the past few videos, I have noticed that the issues we have covered do not just pertain to sports, they pertain to our every day lives. Specifically the video on white privilege. I mean, I knew there was such a thing as being privileged and how far it got you, and I honestly thought I was pretty privileged, but honestly I guess I am not as much as I thought. I mean, when we did the exercise in the circle I kind of felt weird. Like, my parents work so hard to help me get through school and everything but I didn't realize that that was exactly it. They had to work for what they gave me and work damn hard at it. I'm not saying that the people who are privileged don't work as hard as others, it just gives them a larger opportunity to make something more of themselves. I feel like this doesn't just have to do with being white either. I mean, I was absent for the last class but I know it had to do with body issues. I feel that even what you look like gives you some sort of privilege as well. I am not the thinnest or the prettiest girl in the world and I feel like even that holds me back at doing things as well. Whether it is getting a job at a clothing store or even a nice restaurant. It also doesn't help that my last name is Hernandez. And I'm not looking for a pity party or anything but it just makes me realize how messed up our world really is. I have always worked hard at everything and I feel like that is how we should all be. I feel that whether we have this privilege or not, we need to take advantage of what we do have.


D. Hernandez
Kin 338I S6

No comments: