Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Fat-phobia in the context of Asian Culture

After watching the Fat Free Talk video, it struck me how deeply we were affected by our fat-phobic culture, and as an Asian female, I realized that my Asian culture make the effect even more fatal. Asians has lower obesity rate compared to other ethnic groups. However, in Asian culture, parents and elders are given the right to criticize children without considering their children’s feeling. I can’t remember how many time my mother, aunts, and grandmother told me I need to lose weight. In fact, it has become a daily topic that I said I no longer care, but deep inside I do care. Women are really sensitive about their body image. A simple comment like: “Honey, you need to lose some weight”, will surely stay in their mind for a long time.

To me, that criticized comments make me feel embarrassed and unworthy. Not only I myself that being criticized by family, but also my friend who unfortunately falling into this category. Her mother literally criticizes her appearance and compare with her cousins. We women are our worst enemy because we are insecure and lack of confident to approach the problem. We need to stop falling into the fat-phobic stereotype which we criticize others by their appearance without caring about their feelings

Ngan Bui

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I understand how you feel. My family used to treat that to my sister. They always said that Kim, my sister, should lose some weight or look at her, her body looks so perfect. At that time, I felt it was normal that the girl should be skinny because of media and culture. However, that is not true. In the real life, not many female can't achieve that body like some model in the media.
Duy Phan
KIN 338I Sec 01