Wednesday, October 12, 2011

How Do We Really Reach Equality??

A couple years ago, I went on a family vacation to Maui. The hotel that we were staying at, coincidently, had an "African American Medical Association" staying there for a conference. Now I vividly remember thinking to myself, "It doesn't really make sense that there are organizations like that for all kinds of ethnicities, but you never see a Caucasian Medical Association.". I am not saying that there should be white groups that exclude other races from participation, but I am asking, why do I (as well as I'm sure you probably do as well) associate a Caucasian group with the KKK. If there is a white only group, we instantly draw a conclusion of a white supremecy group. That is probably why there are no groups of the sort around in the professional world.

That being said, does this help us achieve equality, or does it pull us farther and farther from our goal of reaching an unbiased, unprejudiced society? I feel we should be able to reach equality in day and age, knowing what we know. I am not saying that white people were not the major cause of inequality or trying to justify any kind of historical evidence. I am simply talking about the here and now. On our campus alone, there are cultural sororities and fraternities, and all kinds of cultural groups; yet there is not a single "Caucasian Fraternity/Sorority/Group". Why is that? What does this tell us about equality? Some might argue that all the other fraternities or sororities on campus are the "White" ones. That however is very much so not the case. I am in a fraternity myself, and I am literally the only 100% white male involved in it. This may not be the case across the entire greek system, but it has to show something.

When it comes to organizations and equality, what is really equal? Do these groups of people who share the same ethnic background help us to reach equality? Or do these very groups that strive for a voice suppress themselves by doing so?...

Austin F
Kin 338I Section 06

No comments: