Sunday, October 9, 2011

exposure for women athletes

On Friday I was browsing and found my way to the Fox Sports online page. I thought it was funny because in the hot topics guide along with fantasy football, MLB play offs, and other sports related topics was the link called “BABES”. I thought that it was ridiculous that they would have an actual section on a sports website that was dedicated solely to babes. I even clicked on the link to see if the link had any sort of reference to sports or athletes, but all I found were pictures of Kim Kardashian. And this was on the “hot topics” bar.. For me it was kind of offensive and thought it was sexist to put this on a public site that technically should be gender neutral. I went back to the main site and realized that all of the articles on the main page were articles of men’s sports. Also, all of the advertisements on the page were either for shaving cream or zombie video games- clearly geared more towards the male audience. Now, I understand that men are the majority of the audience for all Sports entertainment and I’m sure that the guys love the “babes” section, but gearing the site solely towards males does kind of exclude women from the sports world. Not only women that are interested in watching sports but for the actual women athletes. They barely have any coverage or promotional material on this site or any other major sports website. Even for the sports that American women athletes are actually known for like soccer and tennis get minimal exposure compared to the men.

ally n.

kin 338i s6

No comments: