Thursday, October 13, 2011

ESPN The Body Issue

ESPN magazine came out with a new magazine called “The Body Issue” which encompasses top athletes like Blake Griffin, Hope Solo, and many more. The athletes are nude in these pictures celebrating there bodies, and taking pride in their hard work . Hope Solo comments on the article and says that she “feels honored to have the opportunity to celebrate not just the athletes but the female athletes body.” I think that this article is changing the medias perspective about being perfectly skinny and that its good to have muscle and be athletic. Many say that the article is too revealing, but this magazine promotes their athletes as athletes not sex symbols. Solo says, “ I don’t take it serious being a sex symbol at all. I’m an athlete and that’s all I am. If a sex symbol is now a top female athlete I think that’s pretty amazing, and it shows how far our country has come from the stick thin model from what you see in most magazines.” This article is one of many that can start to change the trend in American media, where the only desirable way to look is to be one of unrealistic models in the magazines. People can read these articles and be inspired to achieve bodies like this. I absolutely loved this issue!!


Christine Thiebert
(e.g. kin 338I.S6)

No comments: