Thursday, October 13, 2011

Inspiration from the Forgotten


One reading that I found particularly noteworthy was “Disability Management Among Women with Physical Impairments”. I was lucky enough to be born able-bodied; never had any sort of serious illness or physical disability that prohibited me from participating in a sport or activity, so I had never really put much thought into how people with disabilities cope with this issue and their own bodies. After surveying a number of women with disabilities, the authors of this study found that one group used exercise purely for the health benefits and because their doctor told them they needed to. They put more of an emphasis on the value of their mind and religious beliefs to help cope with their disabilities. Another group only wanted to “normalize” their bodies and used physical activity to keep themselves in shape so they didn’t stray too far away from what the “ideal” women should look like in America. The third group, whom I found truly inspiring, formed a perfect balance of mind and body. Rather than trying to beautify themselves and fit into TAB (temporarily able-bodied) standards, these women created their own criteria and used physical activity as a tool to strengthen and optimize the functioning of their bodies and minds. They accepted the fact that they would have limitations in life, but that they would make the absolute best of what they did have. Not only did this reading make me realize how often I have taken for granted that fact that I can enjoy a run, play soccer with my friends, or lift weights at the gym, but it also made me reevaluate how I live my life and the way I see myself. The women in the third group were able to create their own standards of what was beautiful and what was normal and just ignore what the rest of society thought to be the “perfect” woman’s body. I think if we were all able to do that, to see ourselves as individuals with individual shapes, sizes, and styles, then many women and even men in this society would be saved from the torment and obsessing over looks and what others think of you. We would be able to focus on our physical and mental strengths rather than just aesthetics. I just hope it doesn’t take a terrible accident and the loss of the use of our legs for everyone to be able to lead their lives in the same way these amazing women have.

Katie Sexton
KIN 338I 
Section 6 

No comments: