Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Underprivileged Experience

Yesterdays class was interesting with the whole discussion about the over privileged. It's amazing how many over privileged people don't know they have an advantage in life because of their race. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. In my point of view I experienced underprivileged aspects in my life. For instance, I went to school in Gardena High School. Gardena High School is considered one of the worst schools in Los Angeles. Going to that school I witness race riots and school shootings. Every day going to Gardena High School was a death sentence in my opinion. There was constant bulling in classes and teachers had very little control over their classes. As I went off to college later in my years; I always thought why I didn't ever have the opportunity to go to a better school? Reason was of my social class and my race (I'm Latino). My family did not have loads of money to send me off to the best private schools. So I got stuck with whatever was in my families reach. Everything Tim Wise said was on target. Some people have advantages in society and others dont't.
Rodrigo Uribe
Kin 338 Sec. 6

No comments: