Monday, October 10, 2011

Body Issues

A few days ago before class I was looking at our book. I found myself staring at Misty May's stomach and thinking it looked a little pudgy. I take it back now, but I already shared my thoughts with the person next to me.

There is the whole problem with body issues in woman's sports and I think women are the hardest on each other. We recently read a chapter about how there is a line between being athletic, but not looking too muscular or masculine. It would be nice to just to do what you want and end up looking how you look. Unfortunately I do not believe that's what sells and we tend to listen what others have to say. I think it has gotten better with female athletes being able to have athletic builds, but there is still the issue of being somewhat feminine

I workout a lot and eat healthy because I need to be in shape to race, but I am scared of getting big. I never have been, but the idea of it sits in the back of my head. When I do weights I will lift light with more reputations because I am afraid of getting bulky. I'm not saying men don't have these issues, but its probably far less than females.

If females were easier on each other about how each other looked that would be a start to making this problem a little bit better. Or if people like myself calmed down and did not worry so much about what others thought. I also need to be easier on other females because I should know better.

Vanessa Humic
KIN 338I sec 06

No comments: