Monday, May 19, 2008

WNBA needs more advertisement

The WNBA season started a few days ago.......and I think exactly .0000000000001% of the population knew about it. Seriously, I had no idea that the season was starting so soon after the draft. I was really excited about seeing Candace Parker play alongside Lisa Leslie, and yet I get no information on when the season starts. Candace parker is a game-changing player and would love to see her play.

So I want to make a proposition to the WNBA: ADVERTISE! You have the most dynamic women's player on the planet right now, and you are not utilizing her to your advantage. Your viewership can become greater than what it is.......just let us know when you are starting your season! People hate on women's basketball so much and need to be aware of the talent that they have in the league right now. From Diana Taurasi, Becky Hammon, Lauren Jackson.......these are some quality basketball players and people need to take notice. The only way they can do that is.......ADVERTISING!

From what I have learned in Women in Sport, I realize that men's sports do generate a much larger revenue. But, it does not excuse the fact that I have not even seen one commercial or billboard for the WNBA. I'm sure the league can at least afford that.

Now that the season is starting, I hope to see a few advertisements with Candace Parker on them. And BTW, Parker had one of the greatest debuts ever in sports: 34 points, 12 rebounds, 8 assists.

Casey McDannald

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

A.Rivera
I agree with your point that there is not enough advertisement in the WNBA. But they actually do have commercials airing on ESPN. The only problem is that they seem to only air in the am time period. Every morning I watch First Take on ESPN and see the WNBA commercials. But when I watch ESPN at night I never see a WNBA commercial, only baseball or playoff basketball. If I never watched ESPN in the mornings I would of never known that the WNBA season had already started. Not only should this WNBA commercials are at night on ESPN but David Stern should have these commercials air during NBA play off games.