Monday, May 19, 2008

Jean Driscoll (Olympian, Paralympian, & Professional Athlete)

After learning about all the great athletes in class such as Billie Jean King, Wilma Rudolph, and Gertrude Ederle, I took the time to research another amazing women athlete to share with the class and the world. Jean Driscoll was born on November 18,1966 and born in Milwaukee, WI. She is the only eight-time champion of the Boston marathon in its 100+ years history. She won two silver medals in the Olympics in 1992 and 1996. Sports illustrated named her #25 out of 100 top women athletes. She also owns 5 paralympic gold medals, 3 paralympic silver medals, and 4 paralympic bronze medals. There are many more things that she accomplished and achieved but then this post would go on forever. If you just google her name, you will find many facts about what she has accomplished.
I wanted to write this post to let everyone know that there are many different women, along with the Title IX law, who have contributed to help women's sports turn into what it has today.

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...

Sorry, forgot to identify myself..AGAIN.
Will Kim
T/TH 9:30-10:45

Kerrie Kauer said...

I researched in depth the disabled sport movement and I have to say what a greater appreciation I have gained of those men and women who strive just as hard, if not harder given their circumstance. They fight an ever prevailing discrimination of being weak and incapable and therefore unmasculine or unfeminine in a restricted and abnormal body. I would like to see and hear much more on adapted sports and paralympics because not only are those athletes courageous and persevering, we all need to see and hear more on this..I certainly do not feel it is a well publicized sport. Im interested..I would like to watch and become a fan of a disabled sports team as much as I am a fan of certain able-bodied teams. Why aren't we seeing more coverage on this? Its so cool!
-Natalie W.