Wednesday, May 21, 2008

girls sports and local support

I am one of those people who never thought twice about women's sports until it hit close to home. Sadly, this is what it takes for people to become part of an issue because when it doesn't pertain to them then why care. The reason I have changed my mindset about women in sports is due to my little sister. She is currently a sophomore in highschool and in many people's opinion is considered to be the most dominant pitcher in all of the central valley, especially her area. I really dont get to see many of her games but I get to hear all of her accomplishments by word of mouth. She has pitched every game for her team in the playoffs and is now playing for the valley championships which is the top prize that her school could ever accomplish. This is a great feat for any sports team in the area since only a few teams in the last 60-70 years of sports at the school has ever held this title. I combed the local newspaper for the past few weeks and never read a dang thing about her accomplishments or even her team. They finally put a small article in the last page of the sports section about them going to play for Valley but who would of known this since they were never mentioned before. In the previous papers there was a huge article pertaining to the boys baseball teams battling thier cross town rivals and how it was a good game and possibly one of them going to playoffs. My sister's team on the otherhand was nearly left out except for a small paragraph after the boy's article, despite my sister's team going undefeated in league and also winning their league title 6 out of 7 years, a huge deal to them but not to the local media. I know I might be a little biased to this subject but I see first hand how hard my sister works at her respective sport. There is no doubt in my mind that she works just as hard if not harder than any male in the area. No matter the season she is out there pitching and hitting 5 days a week even after her teams practices, but still her and her team get no respect. Why? They have a fan base as shown by parent and family support but where is the community support and especially the local media's coverage. I'm sure that this is not the only community that suffers from this particular problem. Isn't the local media supposed to cover local events especially in the sports page. I remember when my name was in the news paper how proud I was and how everyone would congratulate me for being in there. I'm tired of girls sports being underappreciated and underrepresent in the local media. I'm sickened to hear that the field that she plays on has to be combed before practice for broken glass and used condoms. Used condoms!!!!!! Its sad that they are the only team in all of the area that has to travel to get to their playing field and I use the term travel loosley because they used to have to run a few miles each day to get to the field. I could go on forever on this subject but I have to save material for another blog. I apologize for my rant but it seems that there is no end in sight.

No comments: