Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Southeast Asian women who have `rugby spirit'



According to the researches, much of the research done in the early 1960s and 1970s seemed to center around the physiological and biomechanical concerns of the white female athlete, and the information about Asian women in sport was scarce. Being an Asian woman, I never go to the gyms to do exercise, playing any sports, or watching sports games on tv. The only chance to have some relations with sports is the PE classes in high school. I think that's because of our culture; women consider sports as the activites of men and go shopping instead of going to the gym. However, there are more and more Asian women realize the importance of exercising not only for body shapes but also for health. In Combodia, the women's national teams of Laos and Cambodia becomes very strong and famous. The Cambodian team which is composed of all orphans or daughters from poor families, coming off the field in tears as they go down 15-0 to Laos. One player is carried in pain and another limps into the locker room. They play so hard and practice so hard. They're like the boys. They have the rugby spirit. And they're better students than the men. Moreover,"They have the motivation. Being so poor, for them it's a great opportunity. Maybe it's not the best sport for women, but at least they become more confident, strong, less afraid," said Chris Mastaglio, a Briton who works for a non-governmental organization in Laos and who "moonlights" to assist the Laos Rugby Federation. I think there will be more and more Asian female playing in sports, composing a team, and sometime playing better than males.
Tze-Jou Chao Kin 338I Sec.7

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

Given the fact that I grew up in Asia, I agree with Tze-Jou’s suggestion that Asian women have limited exposure to sports. I find it very unfortunate that they are not exposed to more health classes that promote the importance of exercise and sports. I believe that it is not the lack of desire that prohibits them from engaging it sports activities, but rather, the lack of opportunities and support system. Similar to what T-bird shared to our class, I believe that many Asian women experience the difficulties that the Nicaraguan women faced when they committed themselves in participating in Basketball activities. They were ridiculed, laughed at, and discouraged from playing sports. On another hand, I was also very impressed with the fact that the Cambodian and Laos women participated in the sports of Rugby. Living here in the United States, I do not hear a lot about women playing Rugby. I truly respect the fact that Cambodian and Laos women are involved in a sport that many consider very rough and dangerous. For myself, I enjoy playing different contact sports such as basketball and wrestling. When my friend asked me to join his Rugby team, I declined in an instant. I feel that what the Cambodian and Laos women accomplished is not limited to only learning the sport itself, but also proving many people wrong.

Nehemiah L. KIN 338I Sec. 6
Tu/Th 9:30am