Friday, May 9, 2008

Georgia Gymnastics Team Tied For the Most NCAA Titles

I found an article that I thought was very interesting. It said that the Georgia gymnastics team won the NCAA national title for the fourth time in a row! The gym dogs are now tied with Utah for the most wins ever, which are nine NCAA titles. "This senior class will leave Georgia with four titles in four years," Georgia head coach Suzanne Yoculan said, "Not many athletes in any sport get to accomplish that, but these girls have deserved everything they've gotten. They are the kind of gymnasts that make being a coach worth it." This is huge news for Georgia. If they won next year they would hold the title for the most wins in the history in the history of the NCAA. This is interesting to me because I really had to search for this article to find it. It was never broadcasted on ESPN (that I know of anyway) and never in any of the news that I watched. That means that not only did the gym dogs not get the recognition that they deserved, but they probably won’t get it next year if they win the title again. I thought out of all the sports that gymnastics would be exemplified in the media, because the sport is so feminine, by society standards. I am deeply saddened by this because if we can’t even get feminine sports to be broadcasted in the news how are we ever going to get more masculine sports such as wrestling or boxing in the media? I would hope that in the future the media recognizes that females are athletes and portrays them in the same light as they do the men.

-Courtney W. Kin338I~S.6

No comments: