Thursday, May 22, 2008

Taking Over Gymnastics!

As I was browsing through ESPN.com for news on female athletes, I happen to come across a link to the gymnastics page. My first instinct was, oh this should be good, a female dominated sport, they should have some good news here. But I was quickly surprised to see that the only news they had was the results from the Men's Championship. Now don't get me wrong, men gymnasts have just as much hard times getting media coverage as female gymnasts do but I thought there would be more news or information about the women then the men. As was discussed in class, gymnastics is one of those sports that involves lots of pressure to look good while also giving them hardships about what the typical female athlete should perform like. Being graceful but assertive and strong but sexy is a very hard image to up hold especially when you are in the spot light only wearing a leotard, leaving the rest to the audience's imagination. To me gymnastics is usually a female dominated sport but I guess I wasn't completely on track. Although I was surprised with what I found on ESPN.com I believe that it is just as important for men to prove themselves in sports like gymnastics, cheerleading or dance as it is for women to prove themselves in basketball, soccer, or hockey. It seems there will always be a constant struggle to fight for one's right to be an athlete.

Katelin Perry

No comments: