Monday, May 5, 2008

Feminine vs. Less Feminine Athletic Events


The 2008 Summer Olypmics are quickly approaching. Over the years the Olympic Games have been an exciting group of elite athletic competition consisting of both men's and women's events. I always try to watch as much of the televised coverage as possible and I have noticed that certain events are more popular and receive more publicity than others. I found that the women's sports that get the most coverage are those that are known to be more "delicate" and "graceful". The two most popularly televised events for women are gymnastics and figure skating. These events are non contact and are depicted as very feminine. Olympic figure skater and silver medalist, Sasha Cohen (pictured at the bottom), received an immense amount of publicity at the 2006 winter Olympics. I believe her pretty looks, cute outfit, and overall feminine depiction accounts for her large amount of publicity. Because our society stereotypes men as masculine and strong, and women as pretty and delicate, the athletic events highlighted for women will most likely fit those stereotypes. Another female Olympic athlete and GOLD medalist, Tristan Gale (pictured at the top right), received a lot less publicity at the 2006 Olympics. Her event was Women's Skeleton, or bobsledding. Even though Tristan Gale won a gold medal while figure skater Sasha Cohen won a silver medal, the more "feminine athlete" received the publicity.

-Allie Gold (KIN 338I tues/thurs 9:30-10:45)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember being about ten years of age when I told my mother that I wanted to be an "ice skater" or a gymnast. So exactly how far did I get? Well, ice skating was too expensive so I ended up joining a gym in the city of Downey about a year later for gymnastics! Why did I choose these two particular sports? The reasoning is simple. Women's gymnastics and figure skating were (and continues to be) two of the most televised sports during the Olympics. I thought being a gymnast or ice skater meant having fun and being pretty while doing it! However, once I began to train it was a totally different ball game, or shall I say HARD WORK. My coach would tell me time and time again that compared to the other girls I was out of shape and that I must stay precise at all times; not to take up alot of space. I guess weighing 98 pounds at age 11 meant being on the brink of obesity! So much attention was put on my body at such a young age and my mother did not like that. Therefore she pulled me out before my confidence and self-esteem was totally crushed. Although their are various female athletes who are great at their sports, the truth of the matter is that it DOESN'T MATTER! What counts is whether or not you "look good" while competing. Strength tends be an attribute that is frowned upon when women are at the focus of the conversation. However, isn't being an athlete about being at peak physical condition so that you are able to ahnialate your component?
Wow.............what a double standard.