Thursday, May 15, 2008

pink

The other day I went into a Target and wondered into the toy section. To my surprise there was an entire isle of children’s athletics supplies. They had all kinds of sports, from soccer to baseball, and even some athletic activities that are not usually seen much in the US. At first I thought this was great. Finally a store was encouraging children to play out side and not just plug into the closest TV. But as I stood there a second longer I noticed that all the equipment was either blue/black, or bright pink. I went back and forth in my head over this fact. My first thought was, how stereotypical. Than I thought, well if little girls like pink, then they might be more likely to play with the equipment. Then it hit me, play, the idea that female athletics are still fighting against every day. Girls play with pink Barbie’s, and they play with pink make-up. If we turn sports into just play at such a young age, how are these young, impressionable girls to take it? We can sit around all we want and say that women’s sport needs to be taken more seriously, in class. But nothing is going to be change until we give young girls he correct encouragement about their sport.


Jessica Richards
kin 338 s.6

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I think this is a great commentary on what is wrong with youth athletics. We do not realize that we are being exposed to this gender bias because it has been with us since we were young. I do not blame the media for any of this because the people in the media were also exposed to this when they were young.

I think what needs to be changed is in the household. If we stop being scared of letting our boys play with dolls and girls play with footballs, this trend can stop.
It is sad that sometimes the only way for sports to appeal to girls is to slap some pink stuff on them. If we allow girls to play sports more frequently, then this pigeon-holing can be eliminated. Otherwise, the only way to market to girls is give them pink footballs.

We just have to remember that girls were not automatically born with the sense that pink is what appeals to them. It is an acquired characteristic that most girls learn at an early age. And from what I learned in Women in Sport, I believed we discussed that it was an arbitrary decision to associate girls with pink made by some random lady. Therefore, we just need to let children make some decisions for themselves instead of telling them that pink is what they like.



Casey McDannald