Thursday, May 22, 2008

A few weeks ago my friend invited me to her sisters little league game. So I went and watched her sister play, I noticed how skinny her sister was getting. So I asked my friend is her sister had been sick, she said no, she has been trying to lose weight. I found myself in a state a shock. I couldnt believe it her sister was only 10. I asked her why, and she said because the coach said it would be better for her in the future if she lost a little weight and started to eat better. Again I was still in shock. So I started to explain to her how this was not heathly, for her especially since she is only 10. I remembered about what we had learned about in class about the triad. So I tried to explain to her about the the triad, and the effects it could have on her sister. I started to ask her why her mom was letting her sister do this, and she said because her mom is the same way, and is a very healthy person. My friend admited to me that her mom was encouraging this weight lose in her sister. So after hearing about this I went home and was thinking about this for the rest of the day. There wasnt much I could do because she wasnnt my sister, I emailed my friend all the information about what can happen in the triad. So far she has been helping her sister, which makes me happy. All of this has made me realize our society today is so concered about image, and being skinny its sad. Learning about all of the risk factors in the triad, and how a lot of them occur when the girl is younger, helped me help my friends sister. And in the end I hope things will change for her sister, and maybe her coach, and her mom will realize what they are doing to her.


Jennie Rosique Kin338I T-Th 2-315

No comments: