Saturday, May 17, 2008

WNBA Expect Great

The WNBA season started today and they have a new theme for 2008. This year the theme is EXPECT GREAT. There are a few commercials out that use sarcasm to address stereotypes toward female basketball players in the WNBA. I love these commercials because as a female basketball player and huge fan of the WNBA I hear things like this all the time. (Even in class) Check out the commercials.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJT8sSIP1_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl2agtug5wI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHpNGZpkJI


Tiarra W. S.6

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...

Wow. Those commercials were great. Thank you for posting those for us to see. To be honest, before I took this class I thought the same way as what they were portraying. I did really think that nothing exciting ever happens watching the WNBA or that it was very boring. After taking this course and learning about athletes like Billie Jean King, it has opened my eyes. Learning about Title IX and the doors it has open for women athletes made me realize that women were and still are being discriminated against. Although the improvements are slow, I am glad to see that at least efforts are being made to equalize the opportunities.
I really enjoyed these commercials because it made me feel as if something different is going to happen this season. Something that will change the WNBA and its image. "Expect Great". That is exactly what I will be doing and I can't wait to see.

Kerrie Kauer said...

Sorry I forgot to identify myself on the comment above.
Will K. T/TH 9:30-10:45