Thursday, May 15, 2008

Venus in Love

I found this article on tennisweek.com, it was announcing the interview between Venus Williams and Bryant Gumbel whiched aired on HBO. I don't usually keep up with tennis so I thought it would be interesting to learn a little more about Venus. I learned that she is the 6 time Grand Slam champion, but I also learned a lot about her personal love life. Bryant was very persistant in asking her questions about her love life, like "Do you love him?", "Does he love you?", he went on and on with those questions. Although she did answer him as uncomfortable as she seemed, she did manage to tell him that she hates talking about her private life. She also said that she and Serena have a rule to not talk about their personal lifes. I have to admire that about those two, they have their identity as professional tennis athletes and they are tightly holding on to it. It seems like people will take any opportunity to take that identity from them. It is as if they are not worthy, because they are women hold the professional athletes identity, they must also be identified as sexy and as the girlfriend.


T. Rojero
T-TH 9:30-10:45

1 comment:

Kerrie Kauer said...

Wow, I usually don't follow tennis either, but I did not she had that many grand slams either. I also did know she was seeing Byrant G. either. I love when reporters ask questions about their life outside of sports. It helps people notice how personable some athletes could actually be.

Christopher Hicks