Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stuck in Old Ways of Thinking

My grandma is the biggest sports fanatic that I know. She loves her Oakland raiders, Phil Mickelson and in tennis right now, it is a throw up since Andrei Agassi left. But, the only female sport that she watches is tennis. When I decided to take this course, she got excited because she loves sports so much. But when I went to her and tried to talk about some of the ideas that I learned she was very reluctant to think about these ideas with me. And then I brought up Billie Jean King, she got very defensive and said, “I don’t care about her sexual preference, why does she think we care if she if gay or not. I don’t understand why all those women athletes have to make such a big deal over it!” Except she said it with more attitude and I took the liberty to clean up the quote a little. I remember watching TV with her when a tennis stadium was being renamed after Billie Jean King. At the time I didn’t know who she was, and my Grandma kept going on rants about her and huffing and puffing about silly things.

I don’t really understand why she feels this was about women athletes. She is a very strong women, she will be 70 this year and still works full time. Her husband died when my dad was 10, and she was forced to support herself and 2 children. She has very strong opinions and they are sometimes so far right, I don’t know what planet she came from. I guess she is just so comfortable in her ways that it is either too scary or too hard to try and make a new map, like we discussed in the beginning of the semester.

Jessica Richards
kin 338 s.6

No comments: