Tuesday, May 20, 2008

chineye ekweozor kin 338i

Throughout the entire semester watching movies on women in sports has been very beneficial in better understanding the tribulations many women have to face in the world of sports. Out of all the movies, my favorite and most inspiring movie was the movie that focused on women within the wrestling industry. This movie really helped me to better understand the definition of hegemony. In this film, the viewer gets a chance to understand how the female wrestlers were oppressed without their knowledge of it which overall lead them to comply to the rules and regulations set by men. But I also thought it was intreasting to see how the industry had completely changed over the years. In the end I watched Muhla, who was once a wrestler faced with the challenge of being a women in such an agressive and male dominated sport oppress other females as well.

2 comments:

Kerrie Kauer said...

I agree, throughout the semester the movies we watched din class have been very motivating and inspirational. My favorite movie was where all the different sport athletes were talking about the hardships they had to overcome to be where they are today. Seeing how women played basketball in closed doors was surprising and seeing how women couldn't play competitively was also astonishment. How the schools called the sporting events "socials" was humorous and their way of playing basketball was also very different from how it's played today. I found the tennis match to be my favorite scene of the film. I don't believe he let her win purposely because I strongly believe that her skills is what won her the match. I strongly feel that if we progress as much as we have in the last 40 years with women in sports, equality between genders in sports will one day be experienced by all.

VJurado KIN338i S6

Kerrie Kauer said...

I also have to agree that "Lipstick and Dynamite" was my favorite movie we saw in class. It was interesting how those women got into the sport and were able to make a living off doing something they enjoyed. Muhla had to be my favorite person in the film, showing how she went from wrestler to promoter was fascinating.
RArreola Kin338i